Planning and cooking a Thanksgiving meal can be a tedious and time consuming task. To help with your Thanksgiving meal prep, we compiled a list of delicious side, dessert, and drink recipes that can all be made in less than one hour! Click through our slideshow to view them all, and start planning your Thanksgiving meal today!
Restaurant-Style Garlic Mashed Potatoes:
- 1 1/2 pounds red potatoes (about 8 small), quartered, skin left on
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- Place potatoes in a large pot or dutch oven. Add enough water to cover the potatoes. Stir in 1 teaspoon of the kosher salt. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover and simmer for about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place the remaining 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, pepper, garlic powder, sour cream, Parmesan cheese and butter in the bowl of an electric mixer.
- When potatoes pierce easily with a paring knife, remove from heat and drain. Add potatoes to the bowl with the other ingredients and mix on medium speed until mostly smooth (there may be some lumps, but we usually don’t mind that). Serve.
Total time: 30 mins
Recipe found at deliciousasitlooks.com
Sweet Potato Casserole:
- 3 cups mashed sweet potatoes
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup melted butter
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ⅓ cup flour
- ⅓ cup melted butter
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Prepare a 1½ to 2 quart casserole dish with cooking spray and set aside. In a large mixing bowl, combine mashed sweet potatoes, brown sugar, eggs, vanilla, milk, and melted butter. Pour into prepared casserole dish.
- To make the topping: Combine brown sugar, flour, melted butter and chopped pecans. Sprinkle over the top.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes until cooked throughout and the top is lightly brown.
Total time: 55 mins
Recipe found at therecipecritic.com
Spiced Cranberry Sauce:
- 3 cups cranberries
- 3 tablespoons agave syrup
- 1 orange, zested and juiced
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 3-4 grinds of black pepper
- Combine all ingredients in a medium saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally as the cranberries begin to pop.
- Cook until the liquid has been absorbed and the sauce is thick and chunky.
- Remove from heat, cool, and refrigerate until you’re ready to use. Serve at room temperature.
Total time: 15-20 mins
Recipe found at greatist.com
Cheesy Green Bean Casserole with Bacon:
- 4 (14 ounce) cans green beans
- 4 strips bacon
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup French’s French Fried Onions
- Dice the bacon and add to a medium skillet over medium heat. Cook, stirring often, until crisp. Remove bacon to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Add flour to the bacon drippings and whisk to combine over medium heat. Continue whisking for 1 minute. Whisk in the milk, sour cream, and crisped bacon. Continue stirring until mixture has thickened to a gravy consistency. Remove from heat.
- Add your green beans and bacon mixture to a large bowl and stir to coat the green beans.
- Spread green bean mixture into a 9×13 baking dish. Top with shredded cheese and fried onions. Bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and taste. Sprinkle with salt and pepper as needed.
Total time: 40 mins
Recipe found at stepable.com
- 4 tablespoons butter or non-dairy margarine to keep it dairy-free
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 celery stalks, cut crosswise in ¼” slices
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground sage
- 1 teaspoon dry thyme
- 10 cups dried unseasoned bread cubes (found in the bread section at the grocery store)
- 1½ cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 egg
- Optional garnish: ¼ cup fresh parsley, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Melt butter in a large pan. Saute onions, celery, salt, sage, and thyme for 5 minutes on medium heat.
- Turn off heat. Add bread cubes and gently stir them into the onion mixture. Slowly pour chicken broth over the bread cubes folding everything carefully so the bread cubes do not break apart too much.
- In a small bowl, gently whisk the egg and add it to the stuffing mix. Continue to fold everything until the egg is incorporated. Scoop uncooked stuffing into a medium casserole dish and bake uncovered for 40 minutes or until nice and toasty on top.
Total time: 50 mins
Recipe found at savorysweetlife.com
Maple Roasted Butternut Squash and Beets:
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1 large red beet, peeled and chopped
- 3 tablespoons grapeseed or olive oil
- 1-1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- Zest of 1 orange, optional
- Dried oregano
- Toasted walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Peel and chop the butternut squash and the beet into ½” cubes.
- Place them in a mixing bowl and add oil, salt, cinnamon, and maple syrup. Toss well using your hands and make sure the veggies are all evenly coated.
- Lay the vegetables out on a large (or two smaller) baking sheet in a single layer.
- Roast vegetables for 40 to 50 minutes, stirring once half-way through roasting.
- Place oven on the broil setting for 3 to 5 minutes in order to crisp up the veggies.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle with dried oregano, orange zest, and additional salt if desired.
- Serve with toasted walnuts and pistachios.
Total time: 1 hour
Recipe found at theroastedroot.com
Apple Cranberry Walnut Salad:
- 6 cups salad (Combination of arugula and baby spinach, but any spring green mix will do)
- 1 red apple
- 1 green apple
- 1 cup walnuts, roughly chopped (such as Diamond of California)
- ⅓ cup crumbled feta cheese
- ⅓ cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup apple juice
- 4 tablespoons apple cider vinegar (or white vinegar)
- 2 tablespoons honey
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ cup oil
- Core and chop apples (thin slices or 1 inch chunks). Toss lettuce, apples, walnuts, feta, and cranberries together in a large bowl.
- Whisk together all dressing ingredients. Toss with salad immediately before serving. Enjoy!
Total time: 10 mins
Recipe found at lecremedelacrumb.com
Pumpkin Layer Dessert:
- 1 box yellow/golden butter cake mix (reserve 1 cup of the dry mix)
- 1/2 cup butter (1 stick), melted
- 2 eggs
Mix together and spread into the bottom of a 9 x 13 pan.
Pumpkin Pie Layer-
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup evaporated milk
- 1 large can (30 oz.) pumpkin pie mix
Mix together and pour over cake mix layer.
Crumb Topping Layer-
- 1 cup reserved dry cake mix
- 1/4 cup brown sugar (packed)
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons butter
1. After layering the cake layer and pumpkin pie layer in the pan, cut the butter into the dry ingredients for the topping layer until crumbly. Sprinkle over pumpkin layer.
2. Bake at 350 degrees for about 40 minutes or until middle is firm and a toothpick comes out clean.
Total time: 55 mins
Recipe found at shakentogetherlife.com
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons cold butter
- 1/4 cup boiling water
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 4 cups fresh blackberries, rinsed and drained
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- In a large bowl, mix the flour, 1/2 cup sugar, baking powder, and salt. Cut in butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in 1/4 cup boiling water just until mixture is evenly moist.
- In a separate bowl, dissolve the cornstarch in cold water. Mix in remaining 1 cup sugar, lemon juice, and blackberries. Transfer to a cast iron skillet, and bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Drop dough into the skillet by spoonfuls. Place skillet on the foil lined baking sheet.
- Bake 25 minutes in the preheated oven, until dough is golden brown.
Total time: 45 mins
Recipe found at allrecipes.com
Caramel Apple Nachos:
- 30 large marshmallows
- 5 Tbsp butter
- 35 caramels
- 1 Tbsp water
- 4-5 apples, sliced
- toppings (peanuts, sprinkles, mini chocolate chips, crushed candy bars, etc)
1. Melt the marshmallows and butter in a saucepan over low heat. Stir periodically until completely melted and smooth.
2. Combine the caramels and water in a bowl and microwave until melted, microwaving in 45 second intervals and stirring in between until the caramel is smooth.
3. Arrange the sliced apples on a plate and pour the caramel and marshmallow mixtures over them. Add any additional toppings and serve immediately.
Total time: 10 mins
Recipe found at butterwithasideofbread.com
Cranberry Apple Sparklers Cocktail and Mocktail:
- 2 oz cranberry juice
- 1 oz apple cider
- 1 oz orange juice
- 1 1/2 oz dry ginger soda
- 2 oz g’vine gin OR juniper soda
- frozen cranberries, apple slices to garnish
- Mix ingredients over ice and stir.
- Garnish with apple slices and frozen cranberries.
Total time: 5 mins
Recipe found at sweetcsdesigns.com
Apple-Brandy Hot Toddies:
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons honey
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 cups apple brandy, preferably Calvados
- Eight 3-inch cinnamon sticks
- In small saucepan, bring the water to a boil. Remove from the heat and stir in the honey until dissolved. Stir in the lemon juice and apple brandy.
- Set a cinnamon stick in each of 8 mugs or heatproof glasses, pour in the hot liquid and serve.
Total time: 10 mins
Recipe found at foodandwine.com
This material was prepared for general distribution. Although all blog posts are intended to be accurate, the information and third-party links provided in the Mariner Finance’s blog are intended for general knowledge and educational purposes only without any warranties, implied or express, of any kind. The posts do not constitute investment, financial or other advice. Authors may or may not be licensed financial professionals; for specific advice, seek the input of a licensed and trained financial expert. Mariner Finance’s blog entries may also be viewed at www.pioneercredit.net and www.personalfinancecompany.com.
get personal finance tips,
and seasonal offers.
Sign up for the Mariner Finance newsletter.