While moving can be exciting, the actual act of moving can be stressful and take months of planning. Whether this is your first move or one of many, we rounded up some tips and tricks that will make your big move easy!
Tips For Moving
1. Have a yard sale! This is a great way to get rid of unwanted items AND make extra cash.
2. Do not limit yourself to packing using just boxes. Backpacks hold laptops, books and other electronics so you can be hands free to grab a box while moving into your new place. Rolling luggage is exceptional for moving heavy or awkwardly shaped items that are hard to carry.
3. Obtain estimates from several moving companies before making a decision. If possible enlist your friends and family members to help you. For even more ways to cut costs read our How to Cut Moving Costs blog.
4. While moving your possessions do not forget to change over your voter registration, doctor offices, children’s school information and pet’s collar.
5. Use old sheets to cover couches or other furniture while moving. Old sheets or towels can also be used to fill boxes with space so they do not collapse when stacked.
6. A good rule of thumb is to have your utility company disconnect your old place a day after you move and activate your new place several days prior to the move.
7. Labeling boxes by room can help when unpacking and make your transition easier. Also, wrap small items in colored tissue so they are not misplaced, thrown out or forgotten.
8. Triple check to make sure nothing was left behind. Did you do laundry before you packed? Check the washer and dryer. Ran one last load of dishes? Check the dishwasher. Let your kids play in the backyard? Check to make sure toys or even lawn ornaments are not left.
9. The kitchen can be the trickiest room in the house to pack. Make your last grocery trip about two weeks before your moving date so you do not have to throw away uneaten food. Defrost your fridge by unplugging it the night before. Alternate real plates and Styrofoam plates to prevent possible breakage during the move. Pack liquid cleaning items (or bathroom toiletries) in plastic bags before putting them in boxes or use a plastic storage container.
10. Last, but not least, pack a “first night” box. Include a tool kit, bed sheets, change of clothes, cleaning supplies (including paper towels and trash bags), nonperishable snacks, disposable plates (glasses & cutlery), cell phone chargers, medicines, toiletries, towels for showering, toys for children, and food for pets.
Following these tips and tricks will make your move easier when packing, transitioning, and unpacking. While moving is stressful and costly, rest assured during your move by contacting your local Mariner Finance branch today.
†We offer personal loans from $1,000 to $25,000, with loans terms from 12 to 60 months. Minimum and maximum amounts dependent on an applicant’s state of residence and the underwriting of the loan. Loans between $1,500 and $15,000 may be funded online. Loans greater than $15,000 or less than $1,500 are funded through our branch network. Specific interest rates and fees are determined as permitted under applicable state law and depend upon loan amount, term, and the applicant’s ability to meet our credit criteria, including, but not limited to, credit history, income, debt payment obligations, and other factors such as availability of collateral. Not all rates and loan amounts are available in all states. Additional fees may apply to some loan offers; some state required and/or permitted fees may be treated as prepaid finance charges. Any such charges shall be in addition to the loan amount requested and/or approved and shall be fully disclosed to the applicant on his/her loan agreement. Not all applicants will qualify for the lowest rates or larger loan amounts, which may require a first lien on a motor vehicle not more than ten years old titled in the applicant’s name with valid insurance. Our loan by phone and online closing process requires a compatible mobile or computer device on which you can access your email and electronic documents. Not all loan types are eligible for loan by phone or online loan closing.
To help the government fight the funding of terrorism and money laundering activities, Federal law requires all financial institutions to obtain, verify, and record information that identifies each person who opens an account. As a result, under our customer identification program, we must ask for your name, street address, mailing address, date of birth, and other information that will allow us to identify you. We may also ask to see your driver's license or other identifying documents.
For any stated annual percentage rate (“APR”), the APR represents the cost of credit as a yearly rate and will be determined based upon an applicant’s credit at the time of application, subject to state law limits. A range of APR’s may be applicable, subject to state law limits and individual underwriting. Not all applicants will qualify for a lower rate. APR’s are generally higher on loans not secured by a vehicle, and the lowest rates typically apply to the most creditworthy borrowers. All terms and conditions of a loan offer, including the APR, will be disclosed during the application process. As an example, with an amount financed of $5,000.00 the borrower receives $5,000.00 at an APR of 29.99% and an interest rate of 28.77% which includes a finance charge of $3,640.96. Under these terms, the borrower would make 48 monthly payments of $180.02, for a total of payments of $8,640.96. The amount financed may not be the net proceeds paid if charges other than interest are included in the loan.
*The process uses a “soft” credit inquiry to determine whether a loan offer is available, which does not impact your credit score. If you continue with the application process online and accept a loan offer, or are referred to a branch and continue your application there, we will pull your credit report and credit score again using a “hard” credit inquiry. This “hard” credit inquiry may impact your credit score.